About Night SkySecrets
We are an FNQ Family owned and run business, which began as an online store in 2009 with a range of astronomy publications. Night Sky Secrets expanded in 2013 into our first Cairns store to bring you a bigger and better range of products directly to the people of Far North Queensland and now at our store located at: Shop3-321 Sheridan St (Cnr Smith) This is just past Dunwoody’s Tavern Northbound on Sheridan St.
Our Motto Looking Up – Out – Down reflects the now expanded nature of our business. Specialising in products and services that help you discover & explore the earth & the sky in all its exquisite detail.
We stock products that are durable, easy to use and above all, make Astronomy, birdwatching, Fossicking, Prospecting, Maritime and many other outdoor activities everything you are looking for.
We are specialist suppliers of high grade optical products to ADF, Police, Fire services, Borderforce, Ergon, GBMPA, QNPS, SES and many other corporate customers.
Our seasonal Astronomy tours have become world renowned and grow in popularity each year. We look forward to meeting with you and helping you on your journey of discovery.
- Skywatcher, Celestron, Acuter, Saxon fill the niche for most of our astronomical telescopes from a Biginners scope for the kids to scopes that will fuel a passion for a lifetime of observing the deep sky.
- We have binoculars for every need including birding, marine, professional, sporting, astronomy and more, from a pocket pair to high end ED Glass Flat field binoculars, from Steiner, Fujinon, Vanguard, Bushnell, Celestron, Vortex & Kson.
- our specialist optical products include long distance laser range finders, thermal & infrared night vision, waterproof ED spotting scopes and. Microscopes.
- As the North Qld agents for Davis Instruments we bring you some of the best weather stations on the market.
- For all your fossicking & prospecting equipment we have pans, picks, sluices, sieves & are the Cairns authorised distributors for Garrett Detectors from an entry level treasure hunting 200i to a high end Pulse Induction Axiom machine, we have you covered. We are also Minelab independent retailers with the Minelab ProGold, Vanquish & Go-find range of products. We also stock the quality XP range of Detectors including the renowned MI4 pinpointer.
- In the world of Sluices there are none better than the range of Sluices, highbankers and accessories from Gold Rat Engineering for which we are the Cairns Authorised dealer.
- When it comes to microscopes we stock both Celestron & Saxon Microscopes from a student starter kit to lab grade stereo microscopes for professional use.
- We have a range of science educational products to stimulate the minds of young and old alike.
- We also have a wide range of magnifiers, optical accessories, publications, space models, astro art and more.
- We also have fine opals and jewellery by mystic opals from the Koroit Opal fields of Qld & gold panning sample pouches from Dadbod prospecting
- We are adding new suppliers and product lines all the time, so if you don’t see what you are looking for just ask, as we can usually get it !
We offer service & repairs on a wide range of binoculars, telescopes and other accessories from most manufacturers. Bring your scope or binoculars in for a quick over the counter evaluation of their servicabily. Most service and repairs are done in house, however some brands may require servicing from the the factory or distributor. We will give you an estimate of cost when you bring your binoculars or scope in to us.
We are comitted to best enviromental practice and do the following to reduce our enviromental footprint
- Our focus is on products that are durable and we seek to sell products that are “Serviceable” not disposable.
- We recycle all our cardboard waste
- All spent batteries collected are recycled vis council
- Bottles and other containers are recycled via Containers for change
Hours & Store
Where: Shop3-321 Sheridan St (Cnr Smith)
When: The store is open Daily Mon to Fri at 10am, we are Currently open until 3pm for the month of February. Extended trading hours will recommence by March.
We are closed on Public holidays and for the Christmas to New Years break.
How: Access is either via Sheridan or Mcleod St. There is usually ample parking on Smith street, to make you visit to us easy.
Our Atherton Tablelands collection, delivery and product demo facility is in Tinaroo township where we can meet with you by appointment, usually on Weekend.